Emergency School Closing Policy from pages 22-23 of the MSM 2016 - 2017 Parent Handbook
MSM DOES NOT follow Fairfax or Arlington County Public Schools on whether or not to delay or close school due to inclement weather. The decision to close the school or open late is made, of necessity, by 6:00 a.m. based upon the best available reports of road conditions and weather forecasts at that time. Even if the weather improves or clears later in the day, the decision must be made by 6:00 a.m. In making this decision, our primary concern is the safety of the children.
In case of inclement weather, such as snow, school will either:
1. Close for the day.
2. Open one hour late with all of the children attending.
3. Open two hours late with only full day (5 year olds and older) children attending with the understanding that if the weather conditions worsen, a later decision may be made to close for the day. Decision regarding Extended Day, Aftercare, and CUMC are made at the time, depending on the circumstances. [Students under the age of five (5) who are enrolled in the Extended Day and/or Aftercare programs do come to school on the 2-hour delay days.]
4. In some cases, we must decide to close school early if snow starts during the day. In that case, we notify by email, website, and facebook.
Parents will be informed of closures and delays by these methods:
- Main Methods: Announcements will be made on Fox 5 News and the school’s Facebook page. To help you with the Facebook notification, please “like” us on our OFFICIAL facebook page at facebook
- Secondary Methods: Provided there is no power outage, a message will be on the school answering machine, it will be posted on our website, or you may receive an e-mail from the school office. We will make every effort to notify you by all methods, but do not presume that there is no change if you do not receive an email. Please confirm with one of the Main Methods listed above.
MSM: Authentic Montessori in the 21st Century
We hope you enjoy getting to know our school as you browse our website, and we look forward to sharing our unique program with you. The Montessori School of McLean (MSM) is a great place to be, full of happy children who are on a fun filled journey, becoming life-long learners.
The Montessori Method is now over 100 years old. Does that mean that it is "old"? Absolutely not! The Montessori Method has thrived and grown over the years because it is so strong, is being proven by modern neuroscience, and is even more relevant today than it was at the turn of the 20th century. MSM is unique because we are able to find the balance between an authentic Montessori program and life in the modern world. We recognize that children live very different lives than they did 100 years ago, and strive to provide them with the skills that they need to succeed in the 21st century. For example, our students are introduced to technology in Kindergarten, and become proficient with practical technology skills by 6th grade, although technology never replaces use of the Montessori materials. We view technology as a Practical Life skill for the Elementary aged student.
We believe that children need a wide variety of experiences to help them become well-rounded adults. Their school day provides them with endless opportunities to play, learn, socialize, explore, discover, try and try again, lead, follow, and exercise their minds, bodies, and spirits!