Primary enrollment (ages 2.9-6) is open to children age 3 by December 31st of their incoming year who are toilet trained. We do not accept children over age 4 unless they have previous Montessori experience. To attend full day primary, the child must be five years of age, have had at least a full year of Montessori education, and be recommended by the teacher. We do not offer an After Care program.
Elementary enrollment (ages 6-12) is open to children at least 5 3/4 years old who have had at least two years of Montessori primary education and possess the following skills:
- Can read phonetic stories fluently
- Know some phonograms and sight words
- Have been introduced to the base 10 number system through the golden beads
ADMISSIONS PROCESS: FIVE EASY STEPS
1) Attend a School Tour: School Tours are held on Mondays from 9:30 am - 10:30 am and are for adults only. The Tour consists of a brief video, a walk through the School, and an opportunity for questions. Please call the Office to RSVP, (703) 790-1049, so that we may provide adequate seating. Please see the Admissions Calendar for Primary and Elementary Tour dates.
2) Make a School Observation Visit: After attending a School Tour, schedule a School Observation Visit because at MSM we believe the best way for you to select a school is to see it firsthand. You will be invited to spend time in each classroom, observe the teachers and children, ask questions of the Academic Head of School, and receive any additional information you may need. This will help you determine if our School is truly a good match for your child. Please schedule your observation through the Office. After your visit, you may request the Application Packet.
3) Complete an Admissions Application: Submit the completed Application Form and Parent Questionnaire along with the Application Fee listed on the Fee Schedule. Your will receive an acknowledgement by mail that includes details about the Child Visit.
4) Have Your Child Visit: Please call the Office to schedule a Child Visit. The purpose is to evaluate your child's maturity and readiness for the Program to which you are applying, to familiarize your child with the environment, and to help determine the best classroom placement for your child.
5) Sign a Contract: After the Child Visit, and after the school has completed its re-registration process in Mid-March, you will receive written notification of the decision made by the Admissions Panel.
We will notify you either:
a) that we are offering your child a place at MSM,
b) that your child has been placed in the wait pool, or
c) that we are unable to accommodate your child.
If we are able to offer your child a place, you will receive a contract as part of that notification. Please complete the contract, make a copy for your records, and submit the original to the office with the specified Contract Deposit. There is a reasonable amount of time, usually two weeks, to sign and submit the contract. Once the contract and deposit have been submitted, a place will be reserved for your child. Applications received after mid-March, or for admissions during the school year other than the next fall semester, will be processed on the availability of places in the requested program.
The Montessori School of McLean admits students of any race, religion, sex, color, national or ethnic origin to all rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. The school does not discriminate in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, and other administered programs.